A Note from Social Services: Hurricane Preparedness for Your Loved One
August 5th, 2019
We are in the middle of hurricane season and now is the time to do your checklist of do’s and don’ts
- Write out your plan in advance.
- Determine what you will do with your loved one. Example, will I take them home and evacuate or should I allow facility to take charge, (usually done upon admission).
- Let someone else in on your plans in the event that you are not able to carry out plan due to work, stressful events, etc.
- Prepare to let your loved one know of the plan so that stress can be minimized during potential hysteria from news etc.
- Ensure your loved one that it is all being done with their safety in mind and assure with providing telephone number for them to call you.
- Wait till last minute as this will increase your and your loved one’s anxiety.
- Allow quilt and emotion determine what your plan of action will be.
- Communicate negativity nor display fear and worry as many of our loved one’s can sense it.
- Anticipate a negative outcome nor a perfect one but be prepared for the unknown.
Ramiro Cabrera, Director of Social Services